Facility and instrument terms in the different protocols

Tamara Civera tcivera at cefca.es
Wed Apr 27 18:57:23 CEST 2022

Dear DAL, Registry,

I am writing to you due to the definitions of the terms/fields
"facility" and "instrument" used in the different protocols Obscore,
SIAP v 2.0 and VoDataService. I have found that the current ones can
cause confusion, especially the "facility" term (I send attached a
"facility_name" list from different Observatories Obscore services and
in some, this field contains the observatory name, in other the
telescope name,...). So I propose to clarify and unify them in these
protocols.

Current "Facility" definition according to the different VO protocols
documentation:

  * Obscore "Facility" definition:
      o "B7.1 The Facility class codes information about the observatory
        or facility used to collect the data."
      o "C.3
        <FIELDname="facility_name"datatype="char"ucd="meta.id;instr.tel"utype="obscore:Provenance.ObsConfig.Facility.name"xtype="adql:VARCHAR"arraysize="128*"><DESCRIPTION>telescope
        name</DESCRIPTION></FIELD>"
  * SIAP 2.0 "Facility" definition: "2.1.12 The FACILITY parameter is a
    string-valued parameter that specifies the name of the facility
    (usually telescope) where the data was acquired. The value is
    compared with the facility_name from the ObsCore [7] data model"
  * VoDataService "Facility" definition: "3.1.1 The observatory or
    facility used to collect the data contained or managed by this
    resource."

Current "Instrument" definition according to the different VO protocols
documentation:

  * Obscore "Instrument" definition: "B7.2 The name of the instrument
    used for the acquisition of the observation."
  * SIAP 2.0 "Instrument" definition: "2.1.13 The INSTRUMENT parameter
    is a string-valued parameter that specifies the name of the
    instrument with which the data was acquired. The value is compared
    with the instrument_name from the ObsCore [7] data model."
  * VoDataService "Instrument" definition: "3.1.1 The instrument used to
    collect the data contain or managed by a resource."

After discussing this topic with Markus Demleitner in the IVOA
Interoperability Meeting, we have thought these possible definitions for
facility and instrument:

"Facility" should contain the name of the device that collected the
messenger particles (as opposed to the detector, which is in
"instrument").  In the optical, this would usually designate a
telescope, in the radio, it would be a dish or an array, for space
missions, usually the whole probe.

"Instrument" should contain the name of the device used for analysing
and detecting the messenger particles. Instances of such devices would
include cameras, spectrographs, or particle detectors.

Thanks,

Tamara Civera

--
Tamara Civera Lorenzo
Scientific Database and Web Access Engineer

  * Plaza San Juan nº 1, piso 2º
  * 44001 Teruel
  * Tfno: +34978221266 - Ext: 1116
  * Fax: +34978602334
  * Email: tcivera at cefca.es <mailto:tcivera at cefca.es>

Este correo electrónico y, en su caso, cualquier archivo adjunto al
mismo, contiene información de carácter confidencial exclusivamente
dirigida a su destinatario. Queda prohibida su divulgación, copia o
distribución a terceros sin la previa autorización escrita de nuestra
entidad. En el caso de haber recibido este correo electrónico por
error, por favor, elimínelo de inmediato y notifique esta circunstancia
al remitente. En conformidad con lo establecido en las normativas
vigentes de Protección de Datos a nivel nacional y europeo,
le informamos que en la Fundación CEFCA tenemos un interés legítimo para
tratar sus datos de contacto con la finalidad de informarle de nuestras
actividades y gestionar sus peticiones.  Sus datos no serán cedidos
a terceros, y los conservaremos sólo mientras sea necesario para
el mantenimiento de nuestra relación o la gestión de su solicitud. Puede
ejercer sus derechos de acceso, rectificación y supresión de sus datos,
así como los derechos de limitación y oposición a su tratamiento con
fines promocionales, escribiendo a rgpd at cefca.es. También puede
dirigirse a nuestro Delegado de Protección de Datos para
cualquier consulta relacionada con nuestra política de
privacidad, escribiendo a dpd at cefca.es .
This email and, when appropriate, any file attached to it, contains
confidential information exclusively addressed to its recipient. It is
forbidden the disclosure, copying or distribution of this email to third
parties without the prior written authorization of our entity. Should
you have received this email by mistake, please delete it immediately
and notify the sender of this circumstance. According to the provisions
of current Data Protection regulations at national and European level,
we inform you that at CEFCA we have a legitimate interest to process
your contact data in order to inform you of our activities and manage
your requests. Your data will not be transferred to third parties, and
we will keep it only as long as it is necessary for the maintenance of
our relationship or the management of your request. You can exercise
your rights of access, rectification and deletion of your data, as well
as the rights of limitation and opposition to its treatment for
promotional purposes, by writing to rgpd at cefca.es. You can also contact
our Data Protection Officer for any query related to our privacy policy,
writing to dpd at cefca.es .