Obscore 1.1 Erratum 3: Drop obs_id non-NULL requirement

Mireille LOUYS mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Tue Apr 26 19:54:27 CEST 2022

Hi Markus , Hi Dal & Dm members ,

The obs_id column in Obscore is *mandatory* , and the idea was to be
able to trace from which observation a data product comes from.

So if validators do not check this value , i.e , allow it not to be
filled , or to be filled by NULL
we need to consider the various cases why this information is not given .

What does it mean to fill obs_id with NULL?
? i do not know where it comes from?
? the data product I serve here is the raw observation ?
other cases ?

May be archive designers , providers can clarify this ?

my 2c , Mireille

Le 12/04/2022 à 17:35, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
> Dear DAL, dear DM,
>
> [followups again suggested to DAL only]
>
> Given that the discussion on the non-NULL requirement on obscore's
> obs_id column did not show a convincing need for the requirement and
> it is an implementation burden in particular in the presence of
> validators (see the erratum's rationale), I've written up a proposed
> erratum for Obscore 1.1; see
>
> https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/ObsCore-1_1-Erratum-3
>
> Does anyone have major qualms with this?  Have I perhaps missed
> material in the Obscore document that would also need changes?
>
>        -- Markus

Mireille Louys,  MCF (Associate Professor)
Centre de données CDS		IPSEO, Images, Laboratoire Icube
Observatoire de Strasbourg	Telecom Physique Strasbourg
11 rue de l'Université		300, Bd Sebastien Brandt CS 10413
F- 67000-STRASBOURG		F-67412 ILLKIRCH Cedex
Tel: +33 3 68 85 24 34