about #calibration (VEP-006) : ----> IMPORTANT for DataLInk EXTENDED USAGE

BONNAREL FRANCOIS francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Oct 11 09:44:51 CEST 2021

Hi Markus, all
Le 09/10/2021 à 07:43, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
> Dear François,

I'm really disappointed that nobody else get inside  this discussion.

Semantics terms in DataLink have to be thought with a wide perspective
if we want to extend the usage

But anyway, although I think it's useless to answer you I still do it.

> On Fri, Oct 08, 2021 at 07:06:31PM +0200, BONNAREL FRANCOIS wrote:
>> Le 07/10/2021 à 15:24, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
>>> Based on this, could you then explain as clearly and concisely as you
>>> can why VEP-006 impedes that use case?
>> A user discovers a calibrated image (HST, ESO, etc...) . With DataLink
>> (#this or #preview) she has a look to the image and want to see how the
>> uncalibrated data and the flat field looked like to understand some of the
>> features. DataLink provides  a link to the #progenitor and also (by some
>> record the semantics of which cannot be anymore "calibration or #flat) to
>> the flat field, etc... used to calibrate this progenitor.
> ...but for this use case there is no need to distinguish between what
> you call a progenitor (i.e., non-calibration part of provenance) and
> calibration files applied.  Right?

Of course it's needed to make this distinction. Even to obtain the right
caption for the display.

Not to speak about possible reprocessing

> Plus: A client can already do that, no?  If you think not: What do
> you see missing?
What would be the semantics term able to drive that? Progenitor alone
is not : this, at least, as been discussed extensively (see below