VOSI availability

Brian Major major.brian at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 01:28:38 CEST 2021

Hi Markus,

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 4:52 AM Markus Demleitner <
msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:

> I'm told CADC is using availability in internal processes -- but for
> that, we don't need to burden our standards, and we don't need to
> accept the disgrace that 10 years into VOSI's declaration that
> all services MUST implement VOSI a10y, only about 400 out of about
> 23000 actually do (and the rest are thus in violation of a REC).

Yes, all of our services (IVOA or not) implement /availability.  They each
do their own specific health check on resources on which they depend.
We've also added an optional parameter 'detail=min' which will do nothing,
but is handy as a 'ping' type probe to the service.  The calls are made by
nagios and our ops team gets alerts on failed calls or when they return
false.  We don't currently use mirrors, but we have multiple instances of
services behind load balancers.  Calls to /availability could hit any of
those instances, so it's not particularly informative about server health,
but it is good for those downstream dependency checks.

So, it's handy and useful to us, but we don't require it in any sort of
interoperable way.  I'm sure this has already been considered, but I think
its value (if any) would lie with the operations interest group.

Cheers,
Brian