The product-type vocabulary

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Dec 15 09:03:19 CET 2021

Dear Semantics, Dear DAL,

The current Datalink WD
(http://ivoa.net/documents/DataLink/20211115/index.html) needs a
vocabulary of product types (images, spectra,...), mainly to satisfy
the "figure out a client suitable as a SAMP target" use case.

While there are other use cases (of course, dataproduct_type in
obscore, but perspectively also searching by the sort of data
products coming out of a service in the Registry), because of the
Datalink WD review I'd say it's up to DAL to bring this vocabulary
into shape.

I've published a draft of this at
<http://www.ivoa.net/rdf/product-type>, which basically reflects the
word list used by obscore, plus #dynamic-spectrum at the request of
the SSIG.

I had talked about that re-design at the last Interop,
<https://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/InterOpNov2021Sem/product-type.pdf>
-- if you've not been there, briefly skimming the notes might help
understanding where this is going.

By Vocabularies rules, as long as the vocabulary is preliminary,
terms can be easily added and removed (though in this case I'd say we
shouldn't remove anything coming from obscore, although I have to say
I'd rather not have #measurements in its current shape).  If you have
proposals in either direction, feel free to bring them forward here.

Thanks,

          Markus