[EXTERNAL] WD-ConeSearch-1.1-20200828 - HTML fixed

Mcglynn, Thomas A. (GSFC-6601) thomas.a.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Thu Sep 10 18:04:25 CEST 2020

In reading this document, I find the language used is sometimes quite confusing about what is required.  Here are a few issues I note.
All of these are just confusing language, not real issues, but I hope this could be clarified.

                Tom

Section 2.

“The VOSI capability[, if present,] MUST be a sibling …”  I think we need to be careful when stating MUST about an optional feature.

2.1
The wording: “The response, by default, MUST …” is confusing.  What does it mean to say that something MUST do something by default.
Maybe “The service MUST support a VOTable response as described in ….  Other formats may be supported but are not covered by this standard.”

How about…
“The recommended format for the Simple Cone Search …”

“URLs of the form …. are also permitted but this form is DEPRECATED for new services.”

What does “… MUST treat opaquely …” mean?  I haven’t a clue.

2.1.1/2 “Single value” or “Single valued”

2.1.6
Again the statement of what is required is unclear.

“The service SHOULD support an optional RESPONSEFORMAT keyword.  If this is not specified or if it is supported and the
user specifies any of the values … then the service  MUST return a VOTable as described in section 3.  Other values MAY
be supported by a particular service but in this case the response format is not defined herein.”

2.4.  I suspect that this is where all statements of the siblinghood of the capabilities resource should be made.  I.e., the
text in my first comment belongs here.

3.  Another “MUST, by default,” which is very awkward.    How about…
“Unless another supported format is specified in the RESPONSEFORMAT keyword, the response shall be in …”

Should there be a statement of what is supposed to happen if an unsupported format is requested? [Possibly
stating that the behavior is undefined.]

Somewhere put “The syntax of other response  formats is not defined in this standard”

I believe the wording here is over specific about the content of the returned VOTable and references to “sources” or
any specific content should be deleted.

E.g., there are many cone search services which return observations of positions in the sky, not sources.   A clearer and more  generic statement
might be “ The returned VOTable SHALL contain all  rows of the specified service whose position and/or time fields meet the spatial and/or temporal constraints
specified unless a row limit specified by the user or the service is exceeded.  Additional rows that do not meet the constraints MAY be returned.”

3.1  I think it would be clearer if the text went something like:

“There MUST be exactly one FIELD with each of the following U

n  ID_MAIN …

n  POS_EQ_RA_MAIN

n  POS_EQ_DEC_MAIN

I believe that that the requirement that there be a time.epoch;meta.main keyword must be preceded by
“Exactly one FIELD with the following UCDs MAY be present

-          time.epoch;meta.main
The current wording which requires a time column invalidates most of the existing cone services.

4.  I find this a real mess and I’m not at all sure of what the standard wants…
Are queries that have too many rows errors?

If we are going to talk about OVERFLOWs here, then I think you need to change
the chapter title to something like:

“Query Status and Errors”

Then the content can be something like:

“New services SHOULD provide query status and respond to errors as discussed in DALI.  Existing
service MAY report errors using the deprecated syntax described in section 4.1.

A service MUST return an error document  (using one of the above choices) in the following circumstances:
    A required parameter (RA, DEC, SR) is missing
    Any of these required paremeters is unparseable.
    Any of these required parameters has an unphysical value.
A service may return an error for too large a value for the SR parameter, errors in optional
parameters, or any other conditions which make it impossible to support the query.

When returning a response in the standard VOTable format, services which truncate a query
based upon user or system query limits SHOULD use the OVERFLOW mechanism described in DALI to
indicate a truncated query.”

4.1  The current draft uses an unqualified MUST .  That has to be fixed.

Maybe:

“Existing services MAY use an older syntax to indicate an error.  When a error is detected, a VOTABLE which contains a PARAM element or
INFO elements with name=”Error” is returned.  The corresponding value attribute should …:”