Vocabularising dataproduct_type

Sarah Weissman sweissman at stsci.edu
Tue Mar 10 16:58:09 CET 2020

Hi Markus,

I think this is great because I'd love to use a shared vocabulary like this to normalize the vocabularies we're currently using in MAST to describe data products. Recently I've been going through an exercise collecting data product type vocabulary (non-controlled) used to describe MAST High Level Science Products and this is the list that I have by frequency of use.

49 Survey
 40 Catalog
 31 Individual Object
 27 Spectral Atlas
 18 Time Series
 11 Image Atlas
 10 Image
  9 Linelist
  3 Composite
  6 Model
  3 SED
  1 Spectrum
  1 Hyperspectral Image

I think some of these are not well-defined, but just looking at this organic list and thinking about how it would map to the proposed IVOA list I have some thoughts:
* Would too many things be mapped into "Measurement" to be useful from a discovery perspective?
* Do we need a separate category for "Model"?
* Do you expect that more than one label would be applied to a data product? For example (naively) could a "spectral image cube" be labeled with "spectrum" and "image" and "cube"?

-Sarah