[VEP-003]: datalink/core#sibling

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 02:10:42 CET 2019

One of the ideas we discussed at  the interop was for the contentType to
cover both level 0 and 1 Of Ada's very useful list above. We already do
this with Datalink itself via a param in the type:

application/x-votable+xml;content=datalink

The idea was to prototype using the ObsCore dataproduct_type values with
the content param, which works quite nicely for several of the types and
tells you alot more than the bare mime type, eg:

application/fits
application/fits;content=image
application/fits;content=spectrum
image/png;content=spectrum along with semantics=#preview??
application/x-votable+xml;content=spectrum
application/x-votable+xml;content=datalink

We could eventually sanction and give guidance for this sort of usage and I
think it is something simple that could be used by the larger community.
The thing is that services can do this now: in a DataLink links resource,
in HTTP Content-Type headers, in VOSpace node metadata, etc... all allowed
now and all adding more useful information for clients to act on... the
usefulness of this idea beyond the links response is appealing and makes me
not want a DataLink-specific solution (new field).

thoughts?

Victoria, BC, Canada