TAP v1.1 - References Suggestion

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Feb 7 11:20:00 CET 2018

James,

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018, James.Dempsey at csiro.au wrote:

> I'm revisiting the TAP v1.1 spec and it struck me that the way it references other standards makes the document harder to read.
>
> An example from 2.7.6 Upload is
>
> "The UPLOAD parameter is described in (Dowler and Demleitner et al., 2017). Services should support the upload of temporary tables (in (Ochsenbein and Williams et al., 2013) format) via the...."
>
> This is a standard citation format but in a document aimed at implementers, who may not be scientists themselves, it is unfamiliar. At best it requires them to switch context to realise that this is actually referring to DALI 1.1 and VOTable 1.3.

I complained about this a while ago:

   http://mail.ivoa.net/pipermail/dal/2017-September/007818.html
   http://mail.ivoa.net/pipermail/dal/2017-July/007769.html

and the text has been improved (by Markus, r4235 2017-09-11) since then.
The volute source for that text
(https://volute.g-vo.org/viewvc/volute/trunk/projects/dal/TAP/TAP.tex)
now reads:

  "The UPLOAD parameter is described in DALI. Services should support
   the upload of temporary tables in VOTable \citep{std:VOTable}
   format via the..."

which is much more readable.  I haven't checked if all the occurrences
of this kind of thing have been improved in that document.

The most recent version of the PR on the IVOA website is 2017-08-30
predating those edits, so you have to build it from source if you
want to see the PDF/HTML.
Time to upload a new revision for the benefit of early implementers?

Mark