Arrays of geometries?

alberto micol amicol.ivoa at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 18 10:59:37 CEST 2017

Let me intrude with a question/curiosity/use case:

Is it useful/needed to distinguish between geometry on a plane
and geometry on a sphere?

(SQLServer calls geometry the first, geography the latter.)

How can I serialise a polygon (or a point, or an array of points, …)
defined not on the sky (3d), but e.g. on the focal plane (2d)?
How would a client recognise the difference?

Many thanks,
Alberto