Time Domain DAL/DM/TDIG

AdaNebot ada.nebot at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Jul 7 13:51:36 CEST 2017

Dear Marco,

Thanks for your input.

> On 6 Jul 2017, at 14:47, Marco Molinaro <molinaro at oats.inaf.it> wrote:
>
> Dear Ada,
> dear all,
>
> regarding the "discovery" item, related to RV Time Series
> in the exoplanets domain, I had a meeting with people
> from the GAPS project.
> (if interested a quick summary can be found here:
> https://www.asterics2020.eu/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=open:wp4:wp4gapsinaf)
>
> The main point I'd like to alert about here (other parts I think
> are nicely covered by your summary and review) is that a
> discovery for time series when doing research on exoplanets
> requires:
> - host star characterisation, especially stellar activity indexes

Regarding the host star characterisation, I think this is in the lines "query by object type”.
This is very important not only for exoplanets but for many other scientific cases.

> - planet(s) ~existence~ and characteristics
>  [and this may be though because 1 stellar system potentially
>  means multiple planets]
I agree with you

> And, vice-versa, searching exoplanets having time series attached
> requires as discovery metadata the search method used (this can be
> a small vocabulary).
>
> I'll try to work on the star/activity/planets part related to the GAPS
> project, the vice-versa requires other projects with different than
> spectroscopic RV method to join.

There is a list of metadata needed to describe and discover TimeSeries that we came up with during the ASTERICS hackathon meeting,
summarised by F. Bonnarel in Shanghai. I have rewritten that list under:
http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/DAL_DM_TDIG_ShanghaiSession2017#Asterics_hackathon_report_F_Bonn <http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/DAL_DM_TDIG_ShanghaiSession2017#Asterics_hackathon_report_F_Bonn>

To my opinion some of the things there are too detailed/complicated, e.g. Fourier coefficients.
And I think that we can build a restricted list of minimum requirements based on those.
Please, have a look at the list and let me know among those fields which you think are a must.

Cheers,
Ada