WD-DALI-1.1 polygon winding direction

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Sep 12 21:53:16 CEST 2016

It all depends on what expression is used for calculating the area.
The sum of determinants of successive vertex vectors requires
flipping the sign of the result for left-handed coordinates; but one
needs to be careful about what to do with cos(dec) and it will not
provide exact precision.
On the other hand, using the sum of interior vertex angles gives
a correct result independent of handedness.

Yes, this will not change.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA