IVOA LSST talk and JSON format for TAP

Van Klaveren, Brian N. bvan at slac.stanford.edu
Thu May 12 17:17:33 CEST 2016

Apologies if this goes through multiple times... this internet is quite flaky.

Hi all,

If you are interested in my presentation about LSST and TAP/ADQL, i've uploaded the PDF to dropbox right now (until I can get it on the wiki):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l89mpih9dmk2q3a/LSST_DAX_IVOA_Interop_May-2016.pdf?dl=0

Also, not sure if I'm going to make it to the meeting later, I need to take care of a few things for work as people in the US wake up and need a decent connection.

That said, if you end up talking about JSON, I was just going to post my example JSON response format for TAP and mention a few things about it:

https://gist.github.com/brianv0/07cf0acd83bde6f450a9

>From my perspective, there's two use cases of a JSON response for TAP.

1. A 1:1 (or near to it) alternative to VOTable.

2. A simplified/minimal version intended to be very easy to use from Javascript.

For the first case, the output of something like that might look like the link above.

For the second case, a minimal representation might look like this:

{

  "columns": [

     {"name":"foo", "datatype":"int"},

     {"name":"bar", "datatype":"long"}

     {"name":"baz", "datatype":"double"}

  ],

 "data" : [

   [ 1, "1.12", 2.123]

   [ 2, "1.34", 2.345]

   [ 3, "1.56", 2.678]

  ]

}

This is extremely easy to deal with via javascript.

i.e:

var table = $(/* call TAP here via jquery */);

table.columns.forEach(function(i){ console.log(i.name)}); // log names

table.rows.forEach( doSomethingWIthRow );

So, if you end up talking about a JSON format, please consider these two potential use cases.

Thanks,

Brian?