DALI 1.1 comments

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue May 10 22:10:52 CEST 2016

I don't have the text of ISO-8601 handy here, but my recollection
was that it is silent on what a time stamp without explicit time zone
information means.
Be that as it may, it does not explicitly allow for attaching time scale
labels to the date-time strings and hence pairing a bare string with
a time scale is a reasonable thing to do.
Pure use of JD or MJD is problematic if UTC is an allowed time
scale, since their values are ill-defined during days with leap seconds.
Besides, the date-time strings are nicely human readable.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA