ADQL: More table 1 woes

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Jul 12 13:39:28 CEST 2016

Dear colleagues,

Can we perhaps amend the erratum on mod(x,y) that was recently
proposed -- http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/ADQL-2_0-Err-2

It turns out that in that table there's a few other bugs.  If you
compare the grammar with the signatures given in the table, you'll
see that

* the table requires an argument on rand(), whereas the grammar has
  it (sensibly) optional [incidentally, if we touch rand's
  description for 2.1, it might be smart to say what the seed value
  is -- float? integer?  any sizes I have to accept?]
* the table requires two arguments on both round() and trunc(), while
  the grammar (sensibly) says that the second argument is optional
  (what it doesn't say is that it defaults to 0, but we can pull that
  from SQL92).

In both cases I'd very strongly suggest to resolve the conflict by
fixing the table, and as ADQL-2_0-Err-2 is about fixing that very
table, too, I'd suggest merging in these two issues.

Marco?

      -- Markus