less required ADQL support [TAP-1.1]

Marco Molinaro molinaro at oats.inaf.it
Wed Sep 30 08:25:11 CEST 2015

Hi all,
relaxing language on TAP data-side (i.e non TAP_SCHEMA) arose as an idea to
let people deploy TAP service in compliance with the spec but having
problems with ADQL for two main reasons:
- no SQL-like backends
- in-ADQL-geometry issues

However, apart from the technical problems discussed by Pat's and Markus'
mails yesterday, removing the ADQL recommendation from the TAP tableset
access will leave us with a spes where only the discovery of the tablesets
description is standard and afterwards, clients will require, possibly,
service-ad-hoc query building for each service deployed. I have to say I
don't like this at all.

So probably the "ADQL with respect to no SQL (whatever this means) and
geometry wrt various backends" should be moved out of TAP-1.1 way. I agree
with Markus and Pat that implementation should lead the way to this change.

Cheers,
    Marco