less required ADQL support [TAP-1.1]

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Sep 29 21:24:19 CEST 2015

NoSQL was an example of the kind of thing this is about... and you could
be right that the status quo is sufficient.

My impression was that this was something that people outside the ivoa
looking in were interested in and that it could make it clear that TAP
was the solution they needed even without a RDBMS. Realising that you
can get away with a subset of ADQL and do something valuable is
something people usually discover by committing to TAP and then just
trying to do it... but the big projects that CSP is interested in
satisfying are maybe not likely to do that.

Pat

On 29/09/15 10:57 AM, Walter Landry wrote:
> Patrick Dowler <patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:
>> I'm not very familiar with NoSQL query syntax, havig only hacked
>> around with ElasticSearch in the context of log analysis... but the
>> query language wouldn't be in TAP and it would surely take some time
>> to make it a standard rather than custom lang...
> What I am wondering is if there is a simple mapping from this NoSQL
> query syntax to ADQL.  My impression is that the NoSQL syntax can be
> expressed as a subset of ADQL.  In that case, you are not looking so
> much for extension as for a way to subset.  I already have to subset
> ADQL for my services.  When I gave a talk about this at Sesto, the
> consensus was to let unsupported queries fail.  So I am not sure that
> anything needs to be done now.
>
> Cheers,
> Walter Landry

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2E7

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)