prototype TAP-1.1 service

Mark Taylor M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Jun 3 00:45:56 CEST 2015

On Tue, 2 Jun 2015, Patrick Dowler wrote:

> We did recently switch to tomcat7 and it could be less tolerant about repeated
> /. I don't see any downside so will modify our service registration.

thanks.

> Pat
>
> PS-But, there is a general issue with appending stuff to URLs that usually
> requires parsing them first to see exactly what state they are in (how they
> end)... e.g. do you start with a ? or a & to append query params? I'm always
> writing code to be careful of leading and trailing / so it seems like one of
> those fiddly issues that have to be dealt with by everyone :-(

I'm quite happy to write defensive code that strips off trailing
slashes where present if that's considered the right thing to do.
But I can (just about) imagine a service which requires a double
slash since that's what TAP seems to say.  ? and & is a bit
different, I don't think base_url??a=b or base_url?a=b&&c=d is
ever going to be correct, so it's more obvious what's the
right/paranoid thing to do there.