Datalink vocabulary

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Sep 23 01:47:44 CEST 2014

I am changing the DataLink document so that

    http://www.ivoa.net/rdf/datalink/core#image

(with the "core" part) is the fully qualified value.

When I looked back at the bit where we say people can use the fragment
without the "url" as a short form, we currently give an example like
#image is equivalent to the above... but now I'm not sure I like the
fragment (#) symbol in the short form and I'm sure someone else didn't
like it either but can't find a statement to that effect.

Will this cause some people/clients to generate the fully qualified term
with ##? Would removing the # from the short form give people the
impression that the semantics field could contain any old word or
string? Is the short form really a good idea here? Should the short form
include the #?

Pat

On 15/09/14 03:02 PM, Norman Gray wrote:
> I should note that the vocabulary defines the namespace as <http://www.ivoa.net/rdf/datalink/core>, not<http://www.ivoa.net/rdf/datalink/>.  This is partly to give the Datalink process the freedom to produce one or more non-core namespaces in future, but also (more pragmatically) because this combines with the URI resolution algorithm to make the various resulting URIs look slightly tidier (people might intuit that<http://www.ivoa.net/rdf/datalink/#foo>, with the /# clash of punctuation, is some sort of typo; also the .htaccess file looks marginally clearer to read and write).  It makes no technical difference.

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2E7

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)