[Datalink] and RESTful services

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed Sep 17 19:21:48 CEST 2014

On 17/09/14 09:22 AM, François Bonnarel wrote:
>> - for a custom sync service, there is no standardID
>>

> OK, but why having no standardID in second case ? Laurent's idea was to
> use this to EXPLICITLY say it is not standard . The standardID value
> should be something like ivo://ivoa.net/nostd/Get or
> ivo://ivoa.net/nostd/Rest. Doing this everything will be explicit
> looking at standardID
>
> In case you have ivo://ivoa.net/nostd/Get you knox that you have to look
> for accessURL and Parameters of the HTTP-GET query in the same
> descriptor. Rest advertizes there is no description. accessURL should be
> anything we have.

It is simply extra material in the spec, defining a URI, and probably
maing the standardID param required -- which seems an elaborate way to
convey that there is no standardID. I'm always against special values
for null when just NULL (DB) or optional element (XML) will do just fine.

Clients will still have to write code to deal with the case when
standardID is not there and they will *do* the exact same thing in that
case.

my 2c,

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2E7

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)