making TAP /async optional.

Marco Molinaro molinaro at oats.inaf.it
Tue May 20 02:25:36 PDT 2014

Hi,
I agree with Laurent that sync/async has an impact on the server side, so
it wouldn't be bad to let also the server side have a part in the decision
on whether a job should run synchronously or asynchronously.
I also think, however, that switching sync-async behavior while job is
running is confusing for the user, even in the case the user is alerted
about this switch.
Autosync (or sync redirect) in this view doesn't solve the issue in my
opinion.
My position (but not a closed/inflexible one) is more on the lines of the
points 2 and 3 of the ones against this change (sec. 4.2.4), i.e.

2. Optional features cannot be relied upon by clients. They are thus
undesirable in principle, but in particular whatever is necessary to deal
with the principal problems which the standard is intended to solve must
not be optional;
3. Thus, if anything, sync should be made optional, as it is easily
simulated using async but not the other way round;

Cheers,
     Marco

: