WD-AccessData-1.0-20140312

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 13 12:50:37 PDT 2014

Good point Petr.  Sometimes image bands have names but are not easily
characterized numerically (hence the more complex approach taken earlier
with SSA).

> but letters and devise the way how to request multiple ranges => BAND=B,V,R

Some folks don't like list-valued parameters (likewise POL=I,Q,U), but
it does seem more natural and convenient for the client doesn't it?

> meters explicitly) - but how the user will know the units of original data?

By a prior queryData and/or getMetadata.  In particular, for most
advanced image access via accessData, one will need to know the image
geometry and WCS, which will be returned with getMetadata (which is not
yet fully defined, and requires more work on the Image data model).

Several people have expressed interest in image sections as in IRAF,
CFITSIO, etc.  This is a pixel space expression such as "[101:105,*]"
(spatial cutout of a 3-cube), "[*,5,*]" (plane 5 of a cube), etc.  In
general, WCS-space and pixel-space operations are equally important and
the client might prefer either.  AccessData is WCS-space initially as we
already have to support this for the discovery query, whereas supporting
pixel-space will require that we first prototype getMetadata and image
section support.  Ultimately we need both as well as WCS-transform and
functions.

 	- Doug