DataLink RFC period annoucment

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Mon Jul 21 10:31:30 PDT 2014

I think the idea of describing service output in the DataLink service
descriptor is interesting and it is something I thought about. The
current use cases revolve around two things:

1. The {links} response solves a variety of discover->download issues
such as (i) multiple files per dataset, (ii) alternate representations
like previews, (iii) related resources (other sources of metadata,
services that can act on the data).

2. The service descriptor was originally conceived to solve the problem
of getting from a discovered ID (eg in a TAP or SIAv2 query response) to
the {links} resource itself *without* having to resolve the ID via
registry lookup....

We quickly realised that with minimal additional metadata we could use
the same mechanism to go from the discovered values to any service that
took them as input (the 3 service params and the inputParams)...

We also realised that the {links} response, since it is a votable, could
also use service descriptors to describe services (typically lower level
access services). Of course, one can put such links directly in the data
discovery response *if* the cardinality of their discovered records and
services matches (eg if one identifier in the discovery response can be
used to call a service, then you can tell the client about it). That's
the whole thing about links: you can add them anywhere you have an
identifier that can be used someplace else! But that was not new spec,
just new usage.

But, this is all aimed (currently) at forward-linking and how to
describe the call to the service. We have not tried to describe what the
service will actually do nor the response it might create. For now (1.0)
I don't think we need it for the use cases at hand. Further, since we
probably do want to add it later, I feel strongly that we should not add
any simplictic form that we might regret. As has been mentioned
elsewhere, PDL, VO_DML, and several other new-ish things cover some
common ground and we should take the time to consider them and prototype.

I think that means adding desciption of the output in DataLink-1.1

my 2c,

Pat

On 21/07/14 03:10 AM, Jose Enrique Ruiz wrote:
> I think this could be solved just adopting the <GROUP
> name="outputParams"> mechanism

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2E7

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)