SIA 2.0 POS parameters

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Thu Jul 10 11:06:43 PDT 2014

RANGE is a pain if you hav to do transformations. In the current WD, it
is true that is is only usable if you want a coordinate range in ICRS
and I think that generally implies searching large chunks of the sky
(maybe methodically) because a range in ICRS doesn't correspond to any
objects you might be studying. OTOH, a range in GAL would be useful to
easily search in or away from the galactic plane...

Previous discussions highlighted that CIRCLE is the useful search shape
when people are studying know astronomical objects (outside solar
system). POLYGON is the useful search shape if you are trying to find
data that overlaps some other data you have in hand (for now, lets
ignore the more subtle issues of amount of overlap, intersects vs
contains, etc).

That leaves RANGE, which in a restricted coordinate system is only
really useful for methodical search of a large area, broken down into
pieces. It could be almost duplicated with polygon (ignoring difference
between great circle and line of constant latitude) except in the cases
where you use open-ended ranges (stripe in DEC, range of RA from pole to
pole)... even those can be done with a couple of polygons instead of one
range.

So, yes RANGE is a convenience shape with rather limited use and would
be a pain to implement correctly if your DB is not in ICRS. But it is
useful and convenient for the large fraction of the data that is in
ICRS(ish)...

Pat

PS-Separate email on non-ICRS use to follow

On 08/07/14 11:04 AM, Walter Landry wrote:
> I have a dataset with extremely narrow rows.  Storing both coordinates
> would increase storage by 25%.  So I store and index everything in
> ICRS and convert as needed to GALACTIC.  Doing RANGE queries in
> GALACTIC would be prohibitively expensive.  BOX and POLYGON queries
> are fine.
>
> I guess the upshot of this is that I am starting to feel more strongly
> that RANGE should be removed from SIA v2.

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2E7

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)