param-link-to-field

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Feb 18 06:55:52 PST 2014

Hi all,
    Considering the intial proposal in the draft (by example)

> <RESOURCE type=”service”>
> <PARAM name="resourceIdentifier" datatype="char" arraysize="*"
>          value="ivo://example/datalink" />
> <PARAM name="standardID" datatype="char" arraysize="*"
>          value="ivo://ivoa.net/std/DataLink#links" />
> <PARAM name="accessURL" datatype="char" arraysize="*"
>          value="http://example.com/datalink/mylinks" />
> <GROUP>
> <PARAM name=”ID” />
> <FIELDref ref="datalinkID" />
> </GROUP>
> </RESOURCE>

and markus' following argument
> it's .... (not) explicit (enough); sibling elements within an (unadorned) GROUP
>      have no explitict semantics, a LINK child of a PARAM does
which I think makes sense, I am still reluctant to use the LINK scheme.
actually Markus' proposal is "forcing" LINK structure beyond the limits
I fully agree with Pierre's caveats there.

A simple "ref" on the SErvice parameter could work as long as it's
distinguished  by an ad hoc (DataLink specific utype) this way, eg :
> <RESOURCE type=”service”>
> <PARAM name="resourceIdentifier" datatype="char" arraysize="*"
>          value="ivo://example/datalink" />
> <PARAM name="standardID" datatype="char" arraysize="*"
>          value="ivo://ivoa.net/std/DataLink#links" />
> <PARAM name="accessURL" datatype="char" arraysize="*"
>          value="http://example.com/datalink/mylinks" />
> <PARAM name=”ID” utype="dl:serviceInputParam" ref="datalinkID" />
> </RESOURCE>

  Best regards
François