param-link-to-field

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Feb 18 00:37:15 PST 2014

Hi Pat,

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 09:01:14AM -0800, Patrick Dowler wrote:
> Thanks Markus; that clears things up. Since I didn't hear otherwise,
> I am going to change the WD to use a child LINK instead of the
> sibling FIEDLref (with href fragment).
>
> When I do that, I need to explain what content-role="ddl:id-source
> means. What is that "ddl" prefix looking thing and where is it
> defined?

Is it possible to be honest and just say "The content-role is an
opaque string to be compared case-sensitively."?  I'm not wild about
that concrete string either, and I'd like "id-source" just as well (I
wouldn't even loudly object to
clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93) -- I'm rarely worried
about name clashes in such fairly tightly controlled circumstances.
Meaning: If you like some other string better, just change that.

Since it kind of fits in here, allow me a brief indulgence in
told-you-so: In Waikoloa, I proposed a model written in VO-DML to
describe the Datalink response and thus have "principled" way of
figuring out its serialization.  I'm not saying we should dig this up
now that the standard has already progressed that far, I'm only
saying the questions of such string forms, referencing in general,
and all that comes with it are examples of why something like VO-DML
and its standard serialization(s) would make our lives a good deal
easier.  So much would suddenly be automatic...

Cheers,

         Markus