About the draft itself Re: WD-SIA-2.0

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 14 13:00:52 PDT 2014

A few random comments.

François rightly raises the question what the coverage in the various
coordinates means.
As currently written it is very sloppy.

Also, the spectral units are enigmatic.
What does "units of the data" mean?
And what is "barycentric wavelength"? Conversion from frequency to
wavelength as applied at the gravitational potential at the barycenter?
Or does it mean to reduce the spectral coordinate to the barycenter only
dynamically? That's pretty inconvenient for people who are doing Galactic
work.

And since everybody expects me to say this: I bemoan the absence of the
redshift/Doppler coordinate.

Since polarization is an enumerated axis, I think POL=I,Q,U,V should be
perfectly acceptable, but POL=I/V is not.
Note that by explicitly endorsing Stokes parameters, other polarization
expressions (circular, linear, vector) are excluded.

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA