Datalink Feedback VI: Semantics

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Apr 14 06:02:58 PDT 2014

Hi Pat, Markus, all
As far as the "full retrieval" is concerned (self) I don't think it
belongs to the dataset. I think "dataset reterieval" is some kind of
service and should be described via the "service-def" field.
     Secondly, i think we should not delegate  the minimal definition of
a vocubulary to another group or document. If it is to be usefull this
field has to be provided with a minimal usefull content from the
beginning. This doesn't mean that a hierarchical refinment like it's
proposed by Markus will not be usefull. With Mireille and Laurent I
proposed something very similar to this hierarchy in November (see
appended file).
     If we want to organize a Skos vocabulary, I think the datalink
document has to provide the list of broader concepts, which could be
refined now or later in the external document. So this basic "broad
concepts" list has to be solid.
     I agree with Markus that basically the concepts driven by the
semantics field are better to be types.
      By the way, if we want to refine the relationship between the
dataset and what is retrieved through the link we could use the concept
hierarchical refinment to do it.
       For example:
                 science
                         catalog
                                external_reference_catalog
       could be different relationship to the daset than
                 science
                        catalog
                               extracted_sources

Best regards