Datalink Feedback VI: Semantics

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Apr 8 10:09:35 PDT 2014

I completely agree with this:

- has to be useful for software to use semantcis to make decisions; the
description is for people
- vocab should be maintained outside the DataLink specification

with the caveat that I don't have much of an opinion on how such a
vocabulary should be maintained or what for it should take. It does seem
like SKOS should be looked at first.

In the next revision, I will change the language here to refer to an
external vocabulary. That requires a URL where
people/developers/software can go and find "words"... Someone (Markus?
Norman?) should propose a URL and put some minimal content there. Where
do we write down the responsibility/rules for maintaining it?

Pat

On 07/04/14 10:59 AM, Markus Demleitner wrote:
> Just when you thought it'd be safe to read DAL again... here's
> another one.
>
> This time it's about 3.2.6, semantics, on which the WD says that it's
> a column containing "a single word (or comma-separated list?) from a
> small vocabulary that describes the meaning of this link relative to
> the dataset."
>
> First, I'd like to strongly suggest that a single word should do, as I'd
> say we've done a bad job in vocabulary construction if overlaps are
> common; also, people tend to get enumerations wrong (see, e.g.,
> content.level in VOResource).
>
> But my main concern is: what are the valid values here?  If it's a
> closed vocabulary (and I think that's almost the right design
> descision), we had better get this right.  Which here means: useful.
> Which begs the question: Useful for what?
>
> So: What are the use cases for semantics?
>
> I believe semantics should be for machines what description is for
> humans: It should allow machines a selection of links of interest to
> them, or to do a preselection based on what the user supposedly is
> interested in.
>
> What could the selection tasks be?
>
> One is clear to me: "Retrieve the full, original dataset."  I had
> suggested "self" as a term for that, and I stand by it.  "science" is
> IMHO too general for that, as it would cover things like "joined Echelle
> spectrum", too.
>
> For there on, it gets murky, and what I think we should do is go out
> to service operators and client writers and pipeline builders and
> explain things to them until they come up with use cases.  One thing
> that came up recently for me is "mask for contaminated areas of an
> image".  That's fairly common, and in an extraction or analysis task,
> it's useful to have, and a machine presumably could automatically do
> something with it.
>
> I suspect there are quite a few cases like this, but we don't have them,
> and new ones might come up.  I'd therefore suggest to have the
> vocabulary in an external resource mainained by the DAL chairs, a
> SKOS vocabulary, which is easy enough for clients to interpret.  They
> might thus still figure out that a mask is an auxillary file although
> it's never heard of mask as a term before (this is, e.g., for
> preselection on behalf of the user).
>
> Based on this and the "preselection on behalf of the user" use case,
> here's a proposal for the start of the vocabulary (with indentation
> meaning a narrower-than relation; I volunteer for turning this into
> well-formed SKOS if people agree this is where we want to go).
>
> self (the full main dataset)
> science (science data related to or generated from the main dataset)
>    derivation
>      source-list
>      joined-dataset (e.g., stacked images, joined spectrum)
>    source-file (something the current data was made from)
> calibration
> preview
> [...]

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2E7

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)