WD-DataLink-1.0

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed Nov 13 10:31:46 PST 2013

I should note that the authors of the current WD recognise that this
semantics column describing the role or meaning of a link is probably
one of the key features and we did not think we could reach agreement
without wide community input. The WD contains the simplest most abstract
set of values, which we knew were not adequate.

So, please post ideas here, but also keep in mind that the goal is not
to find a place to put your known/custom/esoteric metadata: it is to
enable the client of a datalink service to chose the right links.

For example, if the client is going to download raw data and needs *all*
the calibration files then simply having "science" and "calibration"
would suffice to pick those links out. Now, if we also assume that the
files need not be self-explanatory then lumping all calibration files
together would not be sufficient to do the processing, but that is a
distinct issue and maybe out of scope for datalink. I don't know where
that line is, but I would hope that if I downloaded a raw science file
and 3 calibration files from a data centre that I could figure out which
was the dark, the bias, and the flat field (easy: it's been awhile since
I reduced any data :-)

Pat

On 11/12/2013 04:48 PM, Tim Jenness wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2013, at 12:30 , Arnold Rots <arots at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
>> I think this list needs some serious consideration,
>> particularly to make sure that the terms have
>> general application and that coverage is complete.
>>
>> For instance, a radio beam image is no different
>> from a PSF. And what is the relation between an
>> error map and a noise map? How does that relate
>> to a sensitivity map. What about an exposure map?
>> And I thought it peculiar that the first item under
>> ancillary contains miscellaneous calibration data;
>> why isn't that under calibration? Also, the set of
>> calibration data types seems rather limited.
>>
>> Let's not rush this list.
>>

> I agree completely with Arnold.
>
> In the submm you have a sky dip calibration observation for example.
>
>> Tim Jenness

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9A 2L9

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)