Fwd: Re: WD-DataLink-1.0

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Nov 12 08:36:21 PST 2013

Hi Jose, all
     Not sure this point has been discussed extensively but I give you
my feeling.

Le 06/11/2013 16:09, Laurent Michel a écrit :

> *** thread transfered ****

NO, I disagree. there will be services ( ObsTAP or SIA) with
heterogeneous content. So the links "semantics" and "service type" will
change across the service. However nothing forbid you to build an
homogeneous data link service.

> e.g. one specific DataLink service could always provide a set of links
> with progenitors, provenance metadata and related
> bibliography, while a different DataLink service could provide cutouts
> and one specific analysis service (in principle for
> different datasets, since I understand DataLink services are somehow
> coupled to the catalog or archive where they are implemented)
>
> I'm currently missing some mechanism in order to get this info, or I
> am not understanding the DataLink WD correctly.
I think if you build an homogeneous DataLink service you could provide a
test response (links for the first DataSet in your database for example)

> This also relates with the allowed values for semantics, the proposed
> list of values seems to me a bit short or too generic,
> couldn't we make this list extensible ?
This can still be discussed.I just sent a proposal by Mireille Laurent
and me for extensions.
> I'm thinking of not restricting the many potential uses of DataLink.
> For example,
> providing in a DataLink service all the already existing related links
> for a specific ADS paper (authors, journal, SIMBAD
> objects, tabular data behind the plots in Vizier, observing proposals,
> grants, used facilities, surveys, missions, ASCL
> reference of used software/code, etc.) Maybe this is outside the scope
> now, but in my opinion we should not exclude this option
> in a future, specially if the VO tackles links with published papers.
No, I think  DataLinks for datasets referred in papers is a good use
case I think
Best regards
François