[DALI] timestamp format

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Nov 7 11:04:13 PST 2013

And let me repeat:
Since astronomy has no use for time zones, but has a need
for (a) specifying time scales and (b) expressing dates and times
in formats other than JD and MJD, the ISO 8601 expression
sans the time zone specification (including the Z) makes sense
to preform (b), while (a) would be poorly served by specifying
one particular time scale (UTC) in a manner that is completely
incompatible with the way all other time scales are specified.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA