[DALI] timestamp format

Dave Morris dave.morris at metagrid.co.uk
Wed Nov 6 08:57:12 PST 2013

Option (1), explicitly stating the implied 'Z' would cause the least
astonishment for our users.
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_astonishment]

In reality an end user writing a simple client side program is not going
to read through all of the detailed small print in our standard. They
are going to run a test query, look at the data it returns and write the
simplest bit of code to process it, missing the detailed nuances of the
implied 'Z' that isn't there. If they then upload their results to
another VO service, it will (should) assume the missing 'Z' and store
(and re-publish) the data as UTC.

Run through a sequence of four or five download/process/upload steps,
and the data will drift further and further away from the original
values. If one or more of the download/process/upload steps crosses the
Atlantic between CADC in Canada (UTC-7H/UTC-8H) and INAF in Italy
(UTC+1H/UTC+2H) then depending on the direction of transfer and whether
the software at each end is or is not aware of the impled 'Z', the
resulting timestamps may end up being several days different from the
original values.

The problem is that without the explicit 'Z', things will quietly
produce the wrong results without signalling an error.

     IVOA custom software that is aware of of the impled 'Z' will treat
the data as UTC.
     ISO standard software that is not aware of the special case for IVOA
data will assume local timezone and add the appropriate offset.
     Software that is not aware of either the ISO or IVOA standards may,
or may not, add the local timezone offset.

If we explicitly state the 'Z', then software that does not understand
what it means will fail with an error.

     IVOA custom software that understands the 'Z' will treat the data as
UTC.
     ISO standard software that understands the 'Z' will treat the data
as UTC.
     Software that is not aware of either the ISO or IVOA standards will
fail to parse the 'Z' - making it clear that something is wrong.

Being able to refer to the existing ISO8601 standard without caveats or
exceptions will make it easier to promote the use of the IVOA standards
in wider inter-disciplinary collaborations.

Last week saw the first meeting of a new project, AstroTrop
[http://www.astrotrop.org/], which aims to re-use the IVOA standards and
software developed by AstroGrid in a new collaboration
with the TROPGLOBE network of tropical forest scientists.

However, I must admit that beyond having to test and update our existing
software, I don't know what the full side effects and costs of adding
the extra 'Z' are.

Is anyone else aware of the technical issues raised by explicitly adding
the 'Z' ?

Thanks,
Dave