How to consume TAP and SIAP for lightcurve survey ?

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 16 15:53:36 PST 2013

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, Patrick Dowler wrote:

>> - Concrete discussions and decisions occured around the Sao Paulo
>> meeting :
>
> There was some discussion of the ideas from the (now old) SIAv2 draft in the
> context of understanding what was part of DataLink and what was part of
> another level/layer of "data access". We did come away with a firm idea of
> what was part of DataLink and some groups are in the process of prototyping
> those ideas. We did not  reach any consensus on the whole "data access" part
> of the problem/solution.
>
> Note: I personally was not party to any "private" discussions so cannot speak
> about them; by virtue of being private they also do not represent any kind of
> DAL-WG consensus.

It was a screwup on our part that you were not part of this cube access
side-meeting Pat.  My recollection is that it was organized at the last
minute and was supposed to be a review of some actual radio datasets in
connection with the image model and characterization.  However it
morphed into a discussion of the SIAV2 interface after we got started.
I do think it was mentioned in advance on the Twiki page for organizing
side meetings but was probably mischaracterized since the topic changed.

>>                       * reviewing the document from the radio point of
>> view (JO Lazio did it and it was encouraging. Alma people - F.Stoehr-
>> allready had a look before)
>>                       * groups engagig to prototype SIA servers before
>>                                  - Spanish VO (Enrique)
>>                                  - VAO, NRAO
>>                                  - CDS, via a trainee starting en January
>
> This is the first I have heard about this (which is fine: people should feel
> free to prototype ideas and then tell everyone in the community about the
> experience and results).

We just completed a 2 day VAO program planning exercise (literally a few
hours ago) to plan the next 20 months or so of VAO work, to be completed
prior to close out of the current VAO program.  The major part of this
will be an effort to prototype some cube data access services and cube
analysis clients, based upon the current SIAV2 draft (which is the main
thing we have currently), the image data model already in progress, and
- if resources permit - ObsTAP and a data link prototype.  The SIAV2
part will include an AccessData prototype.  Between SIAV2, AccessData,
and data linking we should have prototyping in all the important areas
to help feed into the IVOA process.  The plan includes a full prototype
implementation in the DALServer framework, implementing data services
for radio, O/IR, Xray, and time (hyper)cube data at several VAO sites,
as well as some client-side cube visualization and analysis tools based
upon the VOClient Python and C APIs currently being developed.

Ideally we would like this to be as compliant with the eventual IVOA
standards as possible.  We propose to do some work on key problems in
the standards area in advance of the May interop.  Most of the
development is after the May interop so there will be time to discuss
this further before the bulk of the work goes forward.  However most of
the planned implementation would (necessarily, for us) be completed by
the May 2014 interop.

 	- Doug