[obs-tap] draft summary: topic 1 *Data product type*

Francois Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Wed Mar 23 05:51:18 PDT 2011

HI Mireille, all,

     Without the introduction of a new otional subproduct type I am
afraid that the procedure
you are proposing will end by a long flat heterogeneous list.  This
optional subtype will  have
 the benefit to put some structuration in the whole product-type affair.

     By the way I have a question about StandardREgExt you are
mentioning  for ObstTAP. Will it describe all the Obscore fields
or only give a link to the TAP schema  ?
Regards
François

Mireille Louys a écrit :
> Dear WG members,
>
> Many thanks for the contributions some of you already provided in the
> mailing lists and on the wiki.
>
> I tried to summarise the discussions on the Obstap draft from the last
> 2 weeks. I will send a bunch of emails, one for each separate topic.
>
> Please send your questions or comments and provide your suggestions.
> The WG review period started on 01 of March, for one month.
>
> Many thanks, Mireille Louys and the authors
> topic 1 *Data product type*
>
> We see it is difficult to build up a complete taxonomy of possible
> data product and organise it as a tree. When comparing various
> propositions ( previous ones  from last year and Juande's one on the
> wiki), I think it is difficult to reach consensus.
> For the moment, I keep prefering  the current list of simple values
> proposed in the draft.
> When we get enough experience with new data types, we can then define
> a larger list and
> register them using  the StandardsRegExt mechanism for extending a
> list of keys : see http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/StandardsRegExt/
>
> I would accept 'other' as a valid value to cover outliers cases , but
> with the caveat that these categories of data sets needing the 'other'
> value should be described better in a future revision of the
> Observation Core components data model.
>
> --ML

François   Bonnarel           Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
CDS (Centre de données        11, rue de l'Université
astronomiques de Strasbourg)  F--67000 Strasbourg (France)

Tel: +33-(0)3 68 85 24 11     WWW: http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/people/fb.html
Fax: +33-(0)3 68 85 24 25     E-mail: francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr