[obs-tap] draft summary: topic 1 *Data product type*

Mireille Louys mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Fri Mar 18 10:51:57 PDT 2011

Dear WG members,

Many thanks for the contributions some of you already provided in the
mailing lists and on the wiki.

I tried to summarise the discussions on the Obstap draft from the last
2 weeks. I will send a bunch of emails, one for each separate topic.

Please send your questions or comments and provide your suggestions.
The WG review period started on 01 of March, for one month.

Many thanks, Mireille Louys and the authors
topic 1 *Data product type*

We see it is difficult to build up a complete taxonomy of possible
data product and organise it as a tree. When comparing various
propositions ( previous ones  from last year and Juande's one on the
wiki), I think it is difficult to reach consensus.
For the moment, I keep prefering  the current list of simple values
proposed in the draft.
When we get enough experience with new data types, we can then define
a larger list and
register them using  the StandardsRegExt mechanism for extending a
list of keys : see http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/StandardsRegExt/

I would accept 'other' as a valid value to cover outliers cases , but
with the caveat that these categories of data sets needing the 'other'
value should be described better in a future revision of the
Observation Core components data model.

--ML