WD Observation data model Core Components version 1.1

Thomas Boch thomas.boch at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Mar 3 12:08:17 PST 2011

Hi François,

I don't really get the point of the discussion about case
(in)sensitivity of utypes. Why can't we just state that :
"UTypes are case insensitive. 'abc.def' is the same as 'ABC.DEF' which
is the same as 'aBc.DEf', etc"
For efficiency, service implementors would store utypes in lower case in
their DMBS, and convert the user utype query to lower case before
performing the comparison.

As an application developer used to interact with services implementing
and interpreting standards in "original" ways, I would write defensive
code and force the string comparison to be case insensitive whatever the
standard says.
Cheers,

Thomas

--
Thomas Boch
   CDS/Observatoire Astronomique   Phone  : 33 (0)3 68 85 24 42
   F-67000 Strasbourg              Email  : thomas.boch at astro.unistra.fr
   France                          http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/~boch