SSA-1.1

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Apr 18 18:00:17 PDT 2011

Hi Petr -

TARGETNAME is an important feature for some new things we want to do
(e.g. SEDs), however it is not needed for the usual spectrum searches
and is rarely implemented by services.  We also need more experience
to learn how to use this effectively so I don't see this as an issue
which needs to hold up SSA 1.1.  I don't know of any existing services
which it would affect.

What we are finding for SEDs is that TARGETNAME wants to be mandatory
as name resolution has usually already been performed for SEDs since
they combine data from multiple observations, often of well known
sources, and searches for SEDs are normally performed by object name.
Hence this will give us an opportunity to gain more experience with use
of this parameter for non-planetary data.  (This is one example
BTW of how SEDs and SSA/spectrum can differ).

Rather than make SSA more complicated than it is I think we should gain
some more experience with SEDs and time series as compared to spectra,
to see what features/capabilities are most important for each class of
data, closely related as they may be.

 	- Doug