roadmap 2010-2011

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 14 09:51:19 PDT 2010

Hi All -

I have some more general comments on SIAV2 inspired by Francois's
mail below, all of which I agree with.

As Francois notes progress on SIA2 has been delayed in the past year
mostly because our small DAL science team was diverted onto the higher
priority ObsTAP project (long planned GDS query).  PQL was similarly
delayed, however that directly depends upon ObsDM so this was probably
just as well.  With ObsTAP/ObsDM soon to stabilize it is time to
resume work on these two high priority and interlinked interfaces.

Replacing a comprehensive SIA (or SSA etc.) specification by multiple
documents is not necessarily such a great idea.  These are science
software interfaces, used by data providers and client application
writers who are often only cursorily familiar with VO technology.
Expecting these folks to read 10 documents and divine how it all
comes together in one specific interface is unrealistic and is not
the way to go.  Rather, we should bring the most important bits
together in one document describing the interface in question,
and refer to these other documents for the details (VOTable, Char,
DAL arch, etc. are examples).  Versioning would also be a serious
problem with the splitting approach, as these documents are likely
to evolve on different schedules.  I do agree however that some of
the details can be left to these more general common documents.

A second problem with the splitting approach is that we are dealing
here with object interfaces, not generic query languages or data
formats.  We need to describe how the VO bits come together to
deal with a specific type of data - image, spectrum, catalog, time
series, etc.  These are all complex data objects with custom data
model attributes and access methods.  How they differ is at least
as important as what they have in common - there is a reason why
50 years of digital astronomy evolved this way.

A third problem with the splitting approach Francois also mentioned,
which is that it would certainly take much longer than what we are
doing now.  Considerable work has already been done on SIA2, and
we already have a sizeable draft spec which outlines most of the
interface.  Some prototyping has already been done.  While work was
dealyed in the past year, good progress has been made on understanding
key problems such as how to deal with cube data.  We are not far
now from completing a first working draft to use for more extensive
prototyping as well as community review, e.g., by the radio community
to review the cube capabilities.

I suggest we have two primary requirements for SIA2:

     o   Upgrade the very successful SIA1 to the DAL2 and DM standards,
         providing consistency with SSA, ObsTAP, and the other modern
         interfaces.  This should preserve the simplicity of SIA1 for
         basic image discovery and access, including some virtual data
         capabilities as we already have in SIA1.

     o   Add support for cube data.  This is *essential* to support
         data from modern instruments - we have no adequate way
         currently to support large radio data cubes in the VO.
         The SIA2 design effort has already indicated that this can
         be done without compromising the basic 2D capabilities, and
         I expect prototyping will prove this.  The key thing is that
         the astronomy Image model is inherently multidimensional;
         we have decades of FITS experience to prove this.

I suggest we have a further round of work on the SIA2 draft spec this
fall, and review the situation in the Dec IVOA interop sessions.
Assuming that the WG decides that a major refactoring of SIA2 is
not warranted, we can shoot for completion of the first full draft
spec in the several months following the interop, and get on with
prototyping and review.

         - Doug