roadmap 2010-2011

Francois Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Sep 14 03:54:00 PDT 2010

Hi Pat,
Le 10/09/2010 21:35, Patrick Dowler a écrit :
> In the recent past we have had success in bringing more complex standards to
> completion by breaking them down into manageable pieces and re-using existing
> standards wherever possible. I would like to continue with this approach and
> propose the following as a way forward. Obviously there are many things to
> collectively consider and decide

You wrote in your other mail that you thought this mail will be a little
provocative. Bingo! Thank you anyway because  I think the DAL WG will
eventually put some attention on SIA2.
 Apparently your assumption is c that SIA2 was not pushed to
recommendation earlier because the standard as it is now is too complex.
 My opinion is different. Historically it seems that  IVOA DAL Working
group was nether able to push more than one standard at a time... In the
stone age we had Cone Search, (2001 ?)
 in the bronze age SIA1 (2002).
The beginning of history was devoted to SSA (2003/2007) and more recent
ages to TAP (2007/2010).
After that came suddenly ObsTap by a strong commitment from the EXec
(2009/2010).
Anyway ideas for SIA2 are there since a long time. There have been
presentations and/or prototypes demos
at nearly all interops  since fall 2007. But with everybody paying
attention  to TAP probably this was let in
the shadow.  There are documents which got  very little comments up to now.

 SIAV2 Analysis at Baltimore Interop time:
http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/SiaInterface/SIA-V2-Analysis.pdf

 SIAV2 working Draft :
http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/SiaInterface/WD-SIAP-2.0-20091104.pdf

The general landscape of DAL was described here:
DAL2 Service Architecture and Standard Profile Version 1.0 IVOA Note 21
May 2010.

The main drawback of the latter document is that it doesn't integrate
"ObsTap". But ObsTAp
is nothing else than the DataDiscovery method of the "Generic dataset"
as it has been identified
by intense discussions in the Obstap separate discussion about one year ago.

Two points which are important to me:
       - before splitting the effort we should all look to what is
there, comment and prototype or implement
and say what is wrong or complex with that. SIA2 is pushing the old SIA1
one concepts and technologies to SSA level
at least. And it's easy to adapt SIA1services into SIA2.  The main
criticism so far has been that  integrating  2D images
and cubes will be too complex and delay the recommendation. This can be
discussed and maybe we can layer in time. I personnaly think than
splitting everything  as you propose, Pat, will  be much longer.
      - SIA2 is really for images and parameters and methods are there
to provide actual images (or cubes) not for
complex datasets or products which may contain or not images like ObsTap
is able to do. I well tell more on this
in commenting Doug Tody's answer number 2 to your email

Cheers
François