DAL sessions at Nara Interop

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Mon Nov 15 09:56:31 PST 2010

Hi everyone,

I am currently planning the DAL sessions after some informal discussions with
a few people at ADASS. Since much of the current work is inter-dependent I
feel we need to concentrate on a few important topics where we can make some
progress, leave some others to plenary sessions that are already being planned
(eg SED science case), and just try to finish up a few things in preparation
for other projects that are coming along in the near future.

With that in mind, I will try to get recent drafts of a few smaller documents
out very soon and focus discussions on them:

PQL - Parameterised Query Language (formalises the common use in simple AP,
but also for TAP)

DALI - Data Access Layer Interface (formalises the common patterns in DAL
service designs)

In addition, we need to work with the Registry WG to define an extension schema
for TAP, Simple DAL protocols, or possible just one for DAL services in
general. Some prelim work has been done so it should not be too difficult to
reach concensus: http://www.ivoa.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/TAPRegExt

The above will likely use up one session, maybe more. Please email me about
these or other topics for the agenda. Time is going to be pretty tight so very
specific issues that require larger discussion will probably get priority. We
may have to leave the more general topics for after-hours :-)

thanks in advance,

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2M7

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7