Light curves in the IVOA

Raul Gutierrez Sanchez raul at cab.inta-csic.es
Tue Jun 15 08:18:52 PDT 2010

Just to mention... There is already a protocol aproved by IVOA (SSAP)
able to cover the access to TimeSeries data. In fact, the Spanish
Virtual Observatory has two services of light curves based on this
protocol, namely:

* OMC (http://sdc.cab.inta-csic.es/omc/jsp/ssap.jsp?pos=0,0&size=10),
registered since 2006

* COROT (http://sdc/corotfa/jsp/ssap.jsp?pos=290.557,1.70154&size=0.01),
registered since 2009.

The number of SSAP accesses to the CoRoT archive in the last year
(>11000) demonstrated that this is a working approach. We propose,
therefore, to use SSAP (and improve if necessary) as a protocol to
access light curves.

Data modelling is a more problematic issue still in a earlier
development stage. Whatever representation is adopted, data models
should be able to tackle the different representations a light curve may
have:

Y-axis: intensity (counts, magnitudes, fluxes,...), differential
intensity (target-standard),...

Best regards,
Raul Gutierrez

Roy Williams wrote:

> To the DM and DAL groups:
>
> With the increasing importance of synoptic surveys in modern astronomy,
> I am thinking that the IVOA could expand its repertoire of data objects
> to include Light Curves. An interoperable protocol for exchanging light
> curves would open the current tight connection between data and
> classifiers, allowing different light curves to be federated, and data
> mining codes run on data from different repositories. I propose that the
> IVOA work towards a Simple Light Curve Access Protocol (SLiCAP).
>
> There would be two parts to the standard, as we have with SCS, SIAP,
> SSAP etc:
> -- How to represent a light curve as a file (Data Modeling)
> -- How to query a light curve repository (Data Access)
>
> For the standard format, one candidate is the well-documented proposal
> called simpleTimeSeries [1], which already has strictly defined Time,
> and good representation of errors, bandpass, and null-detections. There
> is also the comprehensive architectural proposal from Tody et al [2]
> which can represent light curves and spectra in a unified way. Another
> way to represent light curves could be derived from "Referencing STC in
> VOTable" from Demleitner et al [3].
>
> For the query service, we might follow what the IVOA has already done
> with images in the SIA protocol [4]: the request is a cone (RA, Dec,
> size) and maybe other query paramters, then the response is a table of
> possible matches, with each row having a link to the actual light curve.
> Other elements of the query protocol might be from the Simple Time-range
> Access Protocol [5] which essentially extends the cone-search idea to
> include time. The only difference from SIA would be that there is a
> light curve under the link rather than an image.
>
> We have been discussing light-curve representation withing the VOEvent
> WG for some time, but perhaps it would be good to open the discussion to
> DM and DAL. I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, or relevant
> existing work.
>
> Roy Williams
>

> [1] http://www.dotastro.org/simpletimeseries/
> [2] http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/Notes/DAL2Arch/
> [3] http://vo.ari.uni-heidelberg.de/docs/note_stc_20100420.pdf
> [4] http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/SIA/
> [5] http://wiki.astrogrid.org/bin/view/Astrogrid/SimpleTimeAccessProtocol

Raúl Gutiérrez Sánchez      ( raul at cab.inta-csic.es )
Lab. de Astrofísica Espacial (www.laeff.cab.inta-csic.es)
European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC)
Villafranca del Castillo - E-28691 Villanueva de la Cañada - Madrid - Spain
Tel.: 34 91 8131260    Fax.: 34 91 8131160