about galaxy "velocity cubes"

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Dec 7 17:14:23 PST 2010

I think DM work has to be usefull for astronomers.
   -  So, Igor if data providers have data with radial velocities on the
third axis and want to distribute like that, why should we oppose ?
    - from the Char DM point of view, a specific  axis (time, position,
spectral etc ... )is always  a specialization of the generic time axis
by fixing:
                -name attribute value
                -ucd attribute value
                -unit attribute
                - use of STC coordinates class instances with
appropriate reference to STC coordsys instance
So, Arnold, it was always the intent (and it's done actually) to reuse
STC where it is needed in Char
DM. I think STC model Recom don't make Redshift (or any) coordinate
mandatory in the coordinate
structure. So we have to add it if  and when we need it.
                - an last but not least, specific utype (TimeAxis,
SpectralAxis, etc ....) (- this actually from
the model point of view is a role and from the xml serialisation pov an
element name).
       In addition each "specific" axis may actually recover different
observables, units, and (usual) names
Spectral axis eg can be (at the moment) in frequency, wavelength or
photon energy.

     I see two possible solutions if we want to describe a redshift
dimension :
          solution 1 : add the velocity or redshift "flavor" to spectral
axis.
             This will require that usual name is "redshift", ucd the
appropriate one, as well as unit and that
we reuse the redshift coordinate structure from STC with appropriate
Coord system.

         solution 2: we define a new Redshift axis by adding a new
RedshiftAxis utype (or UML role, or xml
element by type restriction) in  addition to the other attribute changes
described in solution 1.

My understanding is that most people here would prefer solution 2. the
main reason I guess is that
frequency and redshift are equivalent representation only if we consider
a single line.

It's time to discuss this because the new version of characteriation
which will be presented tommorrow can include this change...

Why dont' we push this discussion to DM, Mireille ?

Cheers
François