about galaxy "velocity cubes"

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Tue Dec 7 07:54:33 PST 2010

I agree with Adam. It should be clear to the radio astronomers a simple
thing is sufficient. The only necessary metadata is labeling/describing
the axes of the cube, and providing min and max values. The VO-supplied
libraries should work with this simple information and the VO registry.
An interoperable representation of the radio cubes in HDF5 or FITS would
complete the picture, ways to subset the cubes, access protocols for
cubes, etc.

The next level -- after acceptance of the above by the community --
could allow computers to "understand" the meaning of the axes by
allowing complex metadata (utypes, STC, Char, semantic linking, etc
etc). Moving too fast on these advanced concepts could make the VO look
out of touch with real scientists.

I suggest that "full metadata characterization" is not interesting to
99% of scientists.

Roy