about galaxy "velocity cubes"

Juan de Dios Santander Vela juandesant at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 05:55:55 PST 2010

I think that trying to put "spatially local" coordinates makes it much
worse, because that "size" is a function of distance. Plus, you are
having a lot of effects due to the angular inclination of the object.
You are indeed observing ra,dec, and frequency, and that is what you
actually have. The conversion to velocities is bidirectional, no
losses, and depends on the selection of a suitable 0 value for the
velocity.

So, we might argue if having them as ra, dec, and frequency is a more
natural representation, but the velocity one is equivalent to that.

--
Juande Santander Vela
Applied Scientist, Archive Management Group