about galaxy "velocity cubes"

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Dec 7 00:47:14 PST 2010

Yes, STC fully supports it, since it specifies four kinds of
astronomical coordinate axes (in addition to generic axes): temporal,
spatial (including proper space velocities), spectral, and redshift
(including Doppler).

The redshift axis accomodates two pieces of metadata: redshift or
Doppler velocity, and Doppler definition (optical, radio, relativistic).
In addition, this allows specifying a rest frequency/wavelength.
Both spectral and redshift axes allow, in addition to the ones defined
for time and space, special reference positions: LSRD, LSRK, LSR,
LOCAL_GROUP_CENTER.

If one uses full STC metadata elements, this information automatically
ends up in the right place. It is unfortunate that Char was not made
compatible with STC in this respect - the result of allowing to pick
components of a model, rather than full model stuctures.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu