TAP documentation issues: VOSI

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 30 02:06:18 PDT 2009

On 29 Sep 2009, at 19:50, Tom McGlynn wrote:

> 5. I'm lost as to what I need to do to support VOSI
> getCapabilities.  As far as I can tell there's nothing that
> describes what the capabilities record for a TAP service should look
> like.  Does it just reuse the existing Catalog Service?  The only
> place I could find a reference to TAP was in discussing the table
> metadata.  I didn't see anything in the TAP document that indicates
> what the format of the capabilities record is to be.

The current draft of TAP 1.0 does not specify any special metadata for
a TAP capability. Therefore, the only thing that one can write as a
TAP capability is the basic Capability type from VOResource.  Note
that this is nothing at all to do with the type CatalogService which
is a sub-type of Resource, not of Capability.

To use this, I would (have) specified a single interface element, of
xsi:type ParamHTTP, in which the access URL points to the web resource
that is the parent of /sync and /async. E.g., if I have TAP operations
at

   http://casx020-zone2.ast.cam.ac.uk:8080/wfs-objects/TAP/sync
   http://casx020-zone2.ast.cam.ac.uk:8080/wfs-objects/TAP/async

then my capability XML for TAP is this:

<capability standardID='ivo://ivoa.net/std/TAP'>
   <interface xsi:type='vs:ParamHTTP'>
     <accessURL use='full'>http://casx020-zone2.ast.cam.ac.uk:8080/wfs-objects/TAP
</accessURL>
   </interface>
</capability>

A TAP client is expected to know that the given URL has child
resources /sync and /async.
(BTW, the example above is a live, TAP implementation, albeit
incomplete and under development. If you look at the root of the web
application, at
   http://casx020-zone2.ast.cam.ac.uk:8080/wfs-objects/
you can get to all the VOSI stuff via your web-browser).
We have no way of saying which optional features are implemented on a
given TAP service; DAL-WG would need to define the way of expressing
that using one of two methods:
1. define a schema for a sub-type of Capability, as was done for SIAP
and SSAP;
2. define separate standardID values for each option and write a
separate capability for each, having a separate URL but no special
metadata.

Regards,
Guy