TAP RFC [MTIME]

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 17 16:32:25 PDT 2009

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Tom McGlynn wrote:

> Doug Tody wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Patrick Dowler wrote:
>>
>>> My vote is to keep the concept of primary column(s), but rename it so it
>>> is
>>> not a pain to implement.
>>
>> My vote as well.  What do we want to call it then?  Various alternatives
>> might be "main", "narrow", "principal".
>>
>>  	- Doug
>>
> At the HEASARC our term is 'standard', as in 'get the standard
> columns in the query'.  I don't care what it is called so long
> as we have the feature.

"standard" is not bad but would conflict with "std" which is already
part of the metadata (inherited from the registry metadata although
pretty confusing for ordinary data tables).  Another possibility
which has been suggested is "basic".

As Tom says I don't think anyone really cares what we call it, but
we need it.