Boxes and Polygons in ADQL/STC. Questions and recommendation.

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sat Oct 24 12:12:54 PDT 2009

The use case "people trying to get sources that match an image" is a
bit loose.  For instance, I wrote an IRAF-based astrometry tool to
query the HST GSC for sources overlapping an image.  A parameter
expands the boundary of the image in all directions (in pixels or
arcsecs).  One obvious reason for this is that the tool is being used
on input images with only poorly known WCS information.  Another
reason, however, is that typical usage would be applied to a stack of
images with differing offsets on the sky.  The query is used to
generate an intermediate catalog applicable to several frames.

In any event, a question here is whether a particular query is
required to be complete against the image, but may include some
fraction of hits outside the boundaries of the image - or whether the
query must be restricted for some reason to hits guaranteed to to rest
only within the edges (straight, curved or otherwise) of a particular
area (and then must the query be complete?).  (And what about holes
that might be cut into the image, etc and so forth?)

Rob
---