Some confusion in cone-search

Tom McGlynn Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Fri Oct 2 05:11:49 PDT 2009

At the HEASARC we ran into this problem a few years ago.  We also were
using UCD 1+ in our ConeSearch VOTables.  The Cone search spec
explicitly uses the 1.0 UCDs and there were a few services that had
difficulty reading data from us.  We didn't want to go back to the V1.0
UCDs since the 1+ versions are generally more expressive.  Our solution
was simply to convert the three UCDs required by the cone search back to
V1.0 as the last stage of processing.  We left all other UCDs unchanged,
so that the resulting table used a mixture of V1.0 and V1+ UCDs.  This
is legal (I think...).

While I'd certainly agree that it would be more elegant to be able to
use the V1+ UCDs consistently, it imposes some cost on clients to
update.  I'm sure some software already accommodates both forms of UCDs
but our experience indicates that there were at least a few clients that
do (or at least did) not.

	Tom McGlynn